Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Impulsive Yogurt

First of all let me preface this by saying that I have an appointment for a root canal next Monday and I'm self-medicating the pain.

This weekend I purchased a large container of plain yogurt with the intention of playing around to make homemade not realizing that my daughter REALLY enjoys plain yogurt. Especially with some chocolate chips mixed in it.

While going to make my lunch for the following work day, I realized at 10pm that the container was almost empty. Well, that won't do will it?

So after having 3 glasses of wine (self-medicating, remember?) I got the grand idea to start the homemade yogurt in the crockpot.

After placing half a gallon of 2% milk in the crockpot and turning it on high I read the rest of the recipe. Oops! Apparently it's not the best time of night to start a project like this since the temperature needs to be monitored. Oh well, undaunted I continued because I am not going to waste a half gallon of milk.


It's really simple to do, which is the main reason I tried it.

 

Take 1/2 gallon milk and put it in a crockpot turned on high. There are different versions regarding the temperature but high worked for me. Bring the temperature to 180-185 degrees. This should take about 2 hours. After it reaches that temperature unplug the crockpot and let it cool to 115 degrees. Take out 1 cup of the warm milk and add 1/2 cup of plain or vanilla yogurt to it. Make sure the yogurt is listed as having live and active cultures in it. Stir back into the crockpot. Cover with a big towel and place the entire crockpot in the oven and let sit for 8-12 hours.

Needless to say I had to set my alarm every hour so that I could check the temperature. By 2:15 am my yogurt was in the oven. When I came home for lunch it was perfect. Not too bad for a first try!

Oh, you might also want to let your family know what you are doing so you don't get questions from 18 year old sons in the morning like I did....."Mom, why is there a towel in the oven?..."

No comments:

Post a Comment